read my dirty opinions about toys, comics, movies, tv, video games and anything else that is suffocating our brains today! You know, the stuff that matters!

Sunday, December 18, 2005

KONG BABY, YAH!


I was one of the people that helped KING KONG show off a bad opening day. I was there for the midnight show on Tuesday to see if this flick could live up to the hype. I am not a huge Kong fan...I like the Japanese monsters better, actually Kong might very well be on the bottom of my ist of favorite monsters but if Pete "Slim" Jackson likes him and I loved LOTR then I can at least see what he did. Actually I was sold on the fight scenes in the trailer. If you are like me and want to see some cool monster-on-monster fights then you won't be disapointed.

You can really see the 3 acts in this movie - Act 1 on the way to Skull Island, Act 2 on Skull Island and Act 3 in New York. Act 1 should have been cut down by half or more. 1 hour from the beginning to when you finally see Kong. While you could argue that Act 2 was too long (90 minutes I believe) I would have been disappointed if it was any shorter because this is what I paid to see. The final act? I guess how else could it really end? I won't really flaw the story because it is what it is...looking at it from a new perspective with all the CG effects is what I am basing my viewpoint on.

The reason why LOTR didnt seem like 3 hours is because of its 3-4 different narritive streams which kept bouncing back and forth, KONG just has one - so you either love it or like me get fidgety in the theatre at 2am.

Good fun for monster fighters...like Gollum, Kong ceased to be a CG effect after about 30 minutes. Naomi Watts is hot, like a new Nicole Kidman, Jack Black although not the crazy School of Rock guy was good but what is up with Adrian Brody's nose?

I'll probably get the DVD to see the fight scenes again but no doubt they wont look as good as they did on the big screen. I am indifferent about this flick maybe because of my preconceptions, so maybe another viewing will do it justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home