read my dirty opinions about toys, comics, movies, tv, video games and anything else that is suffocating our brains today! You know, the stuff that matters!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

ESSENTIAL MANGA: GANTZ



Sometimes I do like being the last in line. Usually I am first but sometimes being first is not the best...take this anime and manga series called GANTZ for instance. Its been a manga since 2000 and its been available as a English anime from ADV since last year and this year in box set form.

I did see an episode but it moved a bit too slow for my taste, and I didn't quite know what to make of it. Then I was able to get the English manga and I must now say this is one of the best manga I have ever read.

First, for those who like more Western style comics and dont like manga because of the big eyes and cutesy nature of most of the stereotypes of Japanese comics - PUT THAT BIAS ASIDE...you won't find a better story than the first 6 volumes of GANTZ manga...it is creepy, sexy, action packed and violent - this is more in line with a Vertigo comic drawn by Jim Lee than whatever preconceptions you may have about manga.

I might even go as far as saying outside of my nostalgic view and love for INFINITE CRISIS that GANTZ is the best comic I've read this year! While I havent finished it yet, it so far has pushed all the right buttons with me. The reason why I like manga is that it really decompresses a storyline to the point that it does feel like a movie. After a comment is made, the art shows the characters reaction in art rather than thought balloons and a fight scene will be a wordless 10-pages of extreme detail and 2-panel pages where you feel each blow and the destruction around it.

OK so I haven't seen the anime yet but this kind of story I like to read at my own pace because its so exciting and cliffhangery (there's that term again) that reading the manga lets me follow it and keep me going. For some reason the manga is not available in bookstores yet, I got mine off the web...so there really is no reason not to seek it out because people say the manga is better in terms of it being more graphic and also better drawn.

You can find a blurb about the storyline online, but I will say that besides its Battle Royale type theme of killing for a game - the rest is so original that you will not have seen or read anything like it. So seek it out, it will be worth it.

3 Comments:

Blogger kleinooo said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a newbie registered investment advisor site. It pretty much covers form adv, iard related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:11:00 AM

 
Anonymous Venice said...

Hi Vegas I’ve been looking for Slots related blogs and I came across yours on ESSENTIAL MANGA: GANTZ during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Slots. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy

Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:43:00 AM

 
Anonymous New York said...

Hi Vegas I’ve been looking for Slots related blogs and I came across yours on ESSENTIAL MANGA: GANTZ during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Slots. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:30:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home