read my dirty opinions about toys, comics, movies, tv, video games and anything else that is suffocating our brains today! You know, the stuff that matters!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

COMICS ARE GETTING GOOD?!


This is yet another opinion piece. I just read NEW AVENGERS #9; and although it reminded me of TOTAL RECALL without Arnold - it was a fun read, it was really a chapter out of a longer story, but an exciting chapter nonetheless. What is going on here? Are comics getting better than they have since the 1980's? I really would like to know what the kids today think or else the pre-teen me would I think if I was reading today's comics back then.

I grew up on Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, American Flagg, Miracleman, X-Men, Ninja Turtles, Nexus and all the great stuff from the mid-80's; I know its not just me who loved that stuff everybody remembers it fondly even if people read it today.

So was the period from say 1990-2000 mainly filled with junk? Of course there are many, many stand-out series in that time period, but compared to what I've been reading I can't compare. Is it really the Editor-In-Chief that makes things so exciting - for all those that hate Jim Shooter his period at Marvel was the most memorable and now we have Dan Didio and Joe Quesada heading up the 2 biggest mainstream comic publishers in the world and really whacking out great stuff.

There really is no point to this POV, I just find it interesting that I can remember what happened in the last issue of New Avengers and it was a month ago...I even skip over that front page (which I am glad is there) I also think it interesting that both sides are actually kicking up the sideline characters too. HAWKMAN, AQUAMAN, GREEN ARROW, FLASH and now even WONDER WOMAN are all good reads on a monthly basis. And Marvel is trying its best to bring in new characters or re-invigorate old ones - RUNAWAYS, SHE-HULK...um I guess that's it outside of the main ULTIMATE UNIVERSE books, the X-Men, Avengers and Spider-Man books, but still lots of fun it to be had.

It really is a great time to be reading comics. Buy them in singles or trades, just buy them.

With all the excitement in mainstream I hope to see a pick up in the independent comic company scene...we need a new ECLIPSE, FIRST and COMICO - people who publish mainstream stuff but just off the beaten path. Places where we found stuff like MAGE, ELEMENTALS, GROO, DREADSTAR, LIBERTY PROJECT, ZOT! and many many more...and I dont mean like Dark Horse, IDW and Oni - who are producing licensed comics and obscure indie books. I mean more like DEVIL'S DUE who tried superheroes but bombed out, they should be acting more like publishers and finding the best material and then putting it in the market - not deciding that the market needs more superhero books so they manufacture some that are just sub-standard riffs.

Ok enough for today...tell me what comics you liked in the 80's and today and what parallels you see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home